Trading Standards Solicitors
If you have been advised that your business is facing a Trading Standards investigation, we can represent you to ensure that your rights and interests are observed.
Trading Standards officers have a wide remit and can investigate any reports received from consumers or service users, including allegedly unsafe goods, fake goods, misleading advertising, pressure sales techniques, poor workmanship and preventing customers or consumers from exercising their legal rights.
Dealing with a Trading Standards investigation can be exceptionally disruptive as well as stressful. We can step in to ensure that the process is dealt with properly by investigating officers and that you have the advice and representation you need. We will take steps to try and ensure that the investigation is concluded promptly.
Our Trading Standards services
We offer a full range of services in respect of Trading Standards investigations, including:
- Advising you on the strength of your case and the appropriate response to the initial investigation
- Preparing you for interviews
- Representing you at interviews
- Working with you to prepare statements
- Liaising with Trading Standards officers and regulatory bodies to try and resolve matters without prosecution
- If you have been advised that your case will be heard at court, preparing a robust defence and providing expert representation
If you have been notified that your business is being investigated, it is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice without delay. We can step in to represent you early on to try and prevent matters from escalating.
How do Trading Standards investigate?
Trading Standards officers have a range of powers to investigate potential breaches of the law, including:
- Entering premises, with or without a warrant
- Seizing goods and documents
- Criminal investigation powers similar to the police
- Purchasing goods and testing goods
- Bringing criminal prosecutions
What penalties can Trading Standards impose?
Trading Standards can impose a wide range of penalties on businesses, including:
- Unlimited fines
- Fixed penalty notices
- Statutory notices requiring certain action to be taken
- Require you to give undertakings
- Forfeiture of goods
- Licence revocation
- Criminal prosecution in the Magistrates’ Court or Crown Court, which could potentially result in a prison sentence of up to two years
- Bring a case against you under the Proceeds of Crime Act to recover profits
How we can help you in a Trading Standards investigation
If you ask us to represent you, we can speak to the Trading Standards officer or regulatory body involved to try and find a negotiated settlement. This will enable you to put the matter behind you and focus on your business.
They may be prepared to drop matters if you take certain steps, for example, withdrawing an item for sale, changing the wording of an advertisement or rectifying work that has been complained about.
Court representation for Trading Standards cases
If you have been summoned to court to answer a trading standards case, we can prepare a robust defence on your behalf. We have an in-depth understanding of the way in which this type of case is dealt with and a track record of success for our clients.
Contact our Birmingham Trading Standards solicitors
If you have been advised that a Trading Standards investigation is being commenced, you should speak to a solicitor without delay. We can represent you to try and find a solution that closes the case and allows you to carry on with your business.