Expert British Citizenship Solicitor Birmingham
If you are settled in the UK and you meet the eligibility criteria, you may wish to apply for British citizenship. This will give you the right to live and work freely in the UK as well as a British passport, the right to vote, free healthcare, free education for your children and access to benefits.
At AI Legal, we represent individuals from overseas and their families in securing British citizenship. If you want to become a British citizen, we can discuss the legal criteria and your eligibility, then take you through the naturalisation process, which leads to citizenship.
We also deal with applications for citizenship based on marriage to a British citizen or having a British parent.
The application procedure can be complex and you will be required to submit a large amount of paperwork by way of evidence of your eligibility. Errors may mean that your application is rejected. We have wide experience in securing British citizenship for clients and we can make the application on your behalf, ensuring that the right documentation is provided in support.
As well as a high level of expertise in dealing with UK citizenship applications, we also offer an outstanding service to our clients. We will ensure that we give you the support and guidance that you need. We are easy to contact and we will answer your questions and update you as to progress throughout your time with us.
Our British citizen application services
We work with individuals from around the globe in securing British citizenship. Our services include:
- Assessing your eligibility for British citizenship
- Putting together the necessary documents in support of your UK citizenship application
- Applying for British citizenship on your behalf
- Responding to enquiries in respect of your application
- Advising you on your options if you have been refused British citizenship
- Resubmitting your citizenship application if you initially made errors in completing it
- Applying for an administrative review, judicial review or appeal where appropriate if your British citizenship application has been refused or rejected
Eligibility for British citizenship
In order to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen, you will need to satisfy the following points:
- You are over 18
- You have indefinite leave to remain in the UK and have lived in the UK for five years; or
- You are from the EEA and have permanent residence in the UK or EU settled status
- You have been in the UK for at least a year after being granted indefinite leave to remain
- You are of good character and do not have a recent or serious criminal record
- You satisfy the knowledge of the English language requirements
- You have passed the Life in the UK test
- You have not breached immigration rules
- You intend to live in the UK
As well as citizenship by way of naturalisation, you may be entitled to apply in the following circumstances:
- You were not born in the UK but you are a British citizen by descent because you have a British parent
- You were born in the UK and have a parent who is a British citizen
- You are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen
Different criteria apply to the above and we can advise you as to your eligibility.